Marc Newson’s 10 Favourite Things
Australian designer and Qantas ambassador Marc Newson on the things that bring him the most joy.
1. WIM DELVOYE He’s a contemporary artist who does upholstered pigs [Usak, 2001, top left], and he tattooed some pigs once. He also makes gothic dump trucks.
2. ITHA108 I love this yoga retreat in Ithaca, Greece, which is run by my friend Ingrid Gottschalk and overlooks the sea.
3. RICHARD STEPNEY I see him for haircuts at Fourth Floor whenever I’m in London.
4. A WOODEN tanuki — a Japanese raccoon dog — is my most treasured household item. They are good luck. It just sits by the front door and looks at us.
5. OLIVE OIL The best souvenir I’ve brought home is a 15-litre can of fresh-pressed olive oil made on our land in Ithaca. It sounds exotic, but everyone does it there; it’s like mowing your lawn. It’s a lovely reminder of summer and we use it every day.
6. CLARIDGE’S in London is my favourite hotel.
7. SCOTT’S OR 34 in London are my favourite food spots. I also love Harry’s Café de Wheels pie van in Sydney — it’s a must-visit when I am home.
8. the LOUIS VUITTON SUITCASE that I designed. The suitcase is incredibly lightweight with an unparalleled large interior volume. This is due to the anodised aluminium extendable cane being relocated from inside the trunk to the outside, adding both structure and strength, as well as substantially increasing the all-important interior packing space. It also removes the awkward bumps and ridges normally associated with internal cane mechanisms.
9. MY GRAND PRIX BUGATTI I started to collect cars about four years ago. This is one of my favourites.
10. FOUNTAIN PENS I love fountain pens because they get used to you. The nib changes. They develop an angle according to your movement, which is why you should never lend your fountain pen to anyone else. I have designed two fountain pens — one for Hermès and one for Montblanc [left] — and I love writing with them.
Full article: http://www.vogue.com.au/vogue+living/design/galleries/marc+newsons+10+favourite+things,41344Reviews & Press